Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers Day Craftiness

Happy late Mothers Day to all you Moms. I wish Brandon was here to celebrate with us, but next year will be even better! Anyways, I hate buying gifts. I would much rather go out of my way to hand make a gift than go to the store and buy something that has no meaning. For every special occasion I try to come up with something inexpensive, but yet has a ton of value. Not everything I make is my original idea and sometimes I will see something that inspires me, but I just make it in my own way. I’m overflowing with ideas now since I have pinterest right at my fingertips ha I need to delete my pinterest app, because that’s all I want to do!

I made this burlap flower arrangement for my mother-in-law with some help from my mom!



I planted some flowers in a coco liner basket and placed it inside a wire plant hanger. I bought a yard of burlap from walmart for $3 and wrapped it around the whole bottom of the plant! The chain was old and ugly so I spray painted it light green and finished it all off with a bow :) for only a little bit of money I think I made a pretty cool gift! Instead of just handing her some flowers and saying, “here ya go..” I made something straight from the heart.

I also hand-made birdseed wreaths with the help of little miss Riley. She was really excited to help with this project because she was able to pour and stir and make a mess haha!





All you need is 4 cups birdseed, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup water, 3 T corn syrup, 1 package plain gelatin, some cooking spray and a bundt pan and you have yourself a very easy gift!

1. Put 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl and mix in 1 package plain gelatin until dissolved.
2. Stir in the 3 T corn syrup and 3/4 cup flour to make it a paste.
3. Add the 4 cups of birdseed and stir it up.
4. Spray the bundt pan really well and smooth in your birdseed mixture.
5. I put mine in the fridge for a couple hours to let them harden then I flipped the pan upside down to carefully remove the wreath. Let the wreath sit overnight before hanging. 

I would say it was a very successful Mothers Day! We went to church then hung out the rest of the day planting flowers and gardening at my sister-in-laws houses! Hope everyone enjoyed their day as well. :)
-Mel

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment